Our club began in 1921 with 84 members. The first clubhouse was located on Garden Grove Boulevard. The cost of the clubhouse was $6,600. We joined the Orange District in 1922. Then in 1925, we affiliated with the State Federation.
In 1955 our present clubhouse was built at the corner of Chapman and Gilbert. In 1965 the mortgage was burned.
Fact: In 1950 there were 114 members. The club won the Federation Extension Award for the largest increase in membership of any club in the State of California; on October 5, 1956, forty-one new members were introduced to the club.
By 1960, the membership increased to 349, peaking in 1966 with 386 members. Scholarships to high school and college students were awarded also.
In 1970, the Club became active in Garden Grove “Friends of the Library”.
1980’s – Our clubhouse got a facelift! A new roof, exterior painting and a new sign on the corner of Chapman and Gilbert telling everyone what and where we were, a long-time project that had been worked on by many of our members!
In April 1997, we were privileged to officially celebrate the 75th founding of our club with a formal Anniversary Reception. Special recognitions were presented by all community leaders and lawmakers, including President Bill Clinton.
On December 7, 2001 we celebrated the 80th year of our club.
On November 4, 2011 we celebrated our Club’s 90th year with a Reception during our General Meeting Luncheon. Invited guests included Congresswoman Loretta Sanchez, Supervisor Janet Nguyen, Officers of the California State Federation and Orange District, Mayor Bill Dalton and members of the Garden Grove City Council.